Those who have been around here since forever ago might remember when I tried to dye roving. It was thin and frail, and I wanted to hold it safely in place during dyeing.
So I used pantyhose. Inside this casing is about 30 feet of carefully lapped and folded pencil roving, laid on a silk scarf and gently encouraged into a stocking leg:
And these are some of the results I got. You can see the roving is thin; even as I was handling it, it wanted to pull apart.
Not as deeply saturated as I would have liked, but it was what it was, for better or worse.
But that was 5 or 6 years ago.
There is coming a box of other fibers — a whole assortment of different things, which I will get to dye up when it arrives.
Which means between now and the weekend I need to go hit up the local Family Dollar and buy up a bunch of pantyhose. Based on what I’ve heard the coming inventory to be, I will need 10-12 pair, maybe more, so that each bundle of fluff gets its own pouch. I suppose each leg will hold 3 unique bundles, but we’ll see.
I won’t use the silk scarves this time, since I want to have a full view of where the dye goes.
And, of course, there will be a follow-up collection of pictures when I have fibers to show and sell.
In the meantime, let’s all praise panty hose for holding fibers together.