How it started
I don’t honestly remember if this was my truly first sweater, or my second-knit-but-first-that-fit sweater. I think my literally first-ever sweater was a light beige pull-over v-neck that was tooo small for me so I gave it to my sister. Anyway they were both knitted during the same year.
Anyway, when I worked at Schramm & Raddue, for my birthday in 1985 (or 86), the secretary for one of the partners gave me a specially selected kit with a book of men’s sweater patterns and enough Pinguin brand wool yarns to make one of the sweaters. Her mother worked at or owned a yarn shop, so it was easy to pick out a birthday gift for me.
It mostly-sorta-kinda fit, and for a first sweater I thought I did fairly well at the time. But look at the neckline. My bind-off was toooo tight, so the shoulders were pulled inward, and I did not know how to make a centered double decrease for a neat point at the front. I can’t even remember how I fudged it around, but even then I knew it wasn’t right.
Also, Romy Reiker, wife of one of the senior partners and one fo the bookkeepers wasn’t pleased with my efforts. She was German and made a point to tell me of her tortures growing up in school in Germany. She actually flat out told me I had to take the left sleeve off and re-insert it “correct” — so the red stripes “actually” lined up. You’ll notice it is still not quite aligned!
The pattern call for, and yarn was given for, the dark gray, off-white, and light grey. I already had the red and decided I wanted stripes. The pattern also called for a crew neck, but I wanted a V-neck. It was my first foray into ignoring the instructions and doing my own thing. I had no clue how to actually make a v-neck point, and back then the instructions said to seam ONE shoulder, knit the neckline/collar, and then seam the other collar and close the neckline.
And then with the shoulders fully joined front-to-back, you were supposed to seam the sleeves, then seam the front/back and then gentle shape the sleeve cap into the armscye. I know better now: connect the shoulders, then attach the sleeves along the armscye, and THEN seam from wrist to waist along one line.
I plan to very carefully remove just the neckline ribbing and then re-knit a proper v-neck. I do have some sort-of similar grey wool sportweight yarn and long-enough circular Six 6 needle. Fortunately the shoulder seam has fairly well felted itself into place, so I’m not worried about undoing the shoulder by accident.
I will start it sometime this weekend, and I’ll have close-up photos of what I’m doing, and how I’m doing it. Wish me luck.