While I was doing the BRS (see previous post) I was going to do up some BFL sport weight hanks — there was maybe 2.5-3 skein’s worth on the last of the cone — but I decided since nobody has requested any of it, I would try something different.
I put the entire cone into a pre-dye soaking bin by itself. The cone itself is just cardboard so when it became saturated I was able to pull the cone out of the center. I laid it out and stretched it a bit.
This one has already been claimed, so it’s not for sale. A similar effect can be done with a center-pull ball, so I may try doing this again with a few balls of Phydlbitz.
Near as I can tell, the dye did reach into the core, but not nearly as saturated as on the outer layers.