So, I mentioned before that I bought myself a triangle loom from Roger’s Looms (highly recommend, by the way). And then some friends surprised me by buying the tripod stand to support it (Thank you, Dez, Lisa, and Diana). So after a couple false starts, I started this project on Monday, and finished the weaving last night:
I was particularly tickled that my final strand ended up on the bottom center pin and there were no missing pins or pins with double-strands. So, at least I know I got that part right. 🙂
Now, as for the quality of the work — well, it’s my first one so I’m not going to be toooo hard on myself, but it is clear that my tension is not consistent. The strands are not straight; the loom is holding everything taut at the moment, and when I take it off and pull on the bias in both directions, the strands should even themselves out, at least a little bit. I’m still torn whether to add a fringe or try to hide the tails where I changed color. And, yes, I am aware that my pattern sequence was off — there should have been a black band between the two claret bands toward the middle; my calculations were off. Oh well.
For now, I am glad I finally broke down and bought the loom. I’ve been wanting one for a long time. I’ve not been much drawn to standard weaving looms, but this style where the warp and weft are applied simultaneously looked somewhat easier. Many Knitivity friends and customers also do weaving on various types of looms; their work is practiced and amazing, I would never presume to be on par with their excellence.
By the way, this first piece was done with leftover RHSS. I didn’t want to waste the good yarn on a practice piece. But now that I understand the basic principles, I will do another, probably with some of the superwash Merino worsted wt. yarns. I’m not really fond of the open weave, but I’ve been told that taking it off the loom and washing it will help things settle down, and doing it with wool will make it even nicer.