Here’s as far as I’ve gotten tonight. There will likely be variations and changes in the eyelet pattern, but whatever changes I make will be very simple. (image lighting altered slightly)
The eyelets break up the monotony of the stripes but also the decrease stitches on the outside of the eyelets also break up the stripes and would work almost as well even if I had closed the eyelets instead of leaving them open. The lighting makes it less easy to see the very visible ridge of decrease stitches, so I’ve drawn a line to point them out:
But there is another issue that springs to mind and I’m truly not sure how to fix it — the border stitches (outside the red stitch markers). There are 10 twisted stitches on each side. BUT it is still stockinette, and it will still curl under. This will look really STUPID if I also have the fringe there, which is why I have 40 steek stitches on the back needle. I might end up knotting the fringe stitches in bundles of 4 or 6 strands or possibly twisting the stitches in bundles. This will be slightly fulled when it is done and I might be able to flatten the border section that way. I don’t know. I’ll worry about that when I get there I suppose.