A quick update and some important news. First, the Bonus BRS yarns, and then further down some info on changes with Knitivity.
Bonus BRS yarns. I’ve just processed the most recent Blog Reader Specials, packed the claimed ones for shipping (the mail carrier is supposed to take them today), and posted the unclaimed yarns on the Blog Reader Specials page.. Shown below is the group shot of the unclaimed yarns, but there are some bonus skeins (BRS23 – #830 – 833). In the collection from the previous week there was a Twinset that several people wanted, Twinset BRS23 – #804 & 805. One person requested a custom dye job to be dyed in a similar manner, so I dyed up several similar Twinsets and let her pick the one she liked best. The ones she didn’t take are the bonus skeins, also shown below. I’m showing them here instead of adding them into the collection this coming weekend.
As always, Twinsets get 10% off for a matching pair. 🙂
BRS23 – Twinset – 830 & 831 – Phydlbitz Sock – $27.50 each or $49.50 for both (10% Off)
75/25 Superwash Corriedale/Nylon, 430 yards each
BRS23 – Twinset – 832 & 833 – Phydlbitz Sock – $27.50 each or $49.50 for both (10% Off)
75/25 Superwash Corriedale/Nylon, 430 yards each
Changes with Knitivity. I mentioned recently that there were some changes coming, and now that I have most of the information available, I can share what I know.
The short version: my regular yarn supplier for the last 12 years or so will be retiring in just a few weeks. When I first learned of this a couple weeks ago, I was panicked because I’ve not found any other supplier selling the 75/25 Superwash Corriedale/Nylon yarn. It’s been the base for my Phydlbitz Sock, which is practically my flagship yarn, a sturdy, dependable, long-wearing sock yarn, and it’s great for so many other types of knitting projects. My greatest concern was the possibility of not having the yarn I’ve build my work on. I haven’t even found this among sellers on Etsy. I imagine someone somewhere is dyeing and selling this same yarn base, but I’ve not been able to find it.
Then I learned this past week that another company would be taking over much of the current supplier’s inventory, but once the first company shuts down, they have to shift all the inventory to their own warehouse in a different state. This would take a couple weeks or more for them to get it all organized into their own system. So, at least I’d eventually be able to get my yarn base.
After communicating directly with the owner of the new company (I’d bought yarn from them a few times in the past and had a regular customer account), they let me know they’d be selling the yarn base and they switched my account to wholesale there as well. This means that I’ll have better access to some amazing yarns I’ve not been able to get before … as long as I meet their minimum weight requirements per order.
And then I learned that this new company has agreed to not only take the old company’s inventory, but will also buy the old company’s name and Web site. To the outsider or casual visitor it will probably look the same. So that’s cool. But again, it will take a while for them to get everything shifted over and running smoothly so they can take orders again. I also don’t know if they will keep the same prices, or possibly raise prices.
My predicament — I normally place my monthly orders late in the month so I get enough yarns for the next month. I’m a small operation and have never really had the funds to acquire a huge inventory, as ideal as that would seem. I buy yarn cash upfront (I never buy yarns on credit), I dye yarn, and then try to sell enough to pay my bills and buy enough yarn for the next month. The time I would have had the funds for October’s yarns is after my current supplier retires and shuts down, and the time the new supplier has things up and running again. What I would like to do is order 15 cones next week but that will take about $800. They have agreed to send me my regular 12 cones early and let me send them money later (about $600), but I hate using credit. If I get sick and can’t dye, then I’m left owing and I can’t have that. I’d rather raise funds by selling as much as I can now.
So, with everything available on the Blog Reader Specials page, where Twinsets are already discount 10% off, when you take any two or more between now and Sunday, I’ll take another 10% off your total order. There will be another BRS collection showing on Sunday and that offer will also apply.
I had thought at first I would need to raise a large amount in order to buy as much yarn as I could hold before my current supplier closes — like, hundreds of cones — just to make sure I had my base yarn for Phydlbitz Sock. Now that I know the new supplier will have this yarn available, I just need to cover this gap between the current supplier closing and the new supplier re-opening, and I think if I sell all the yarns, I might come close to it. Some have offered to send funds through PayPal and/or Zelle; however, knowing what I now know, I don’t think I’m in such dire straits any more but any extra funds will go toward getting whatever extra yarn I can get, and is deeply appreciated.