Long, long ago in a past life … well, okay, it was pre-Katrina, which seems like another life entirely — I found a cool deal on ebay. It was a bag of Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton, along with a pattern for a crocheted vest. There were tan, cream, green, and variegated balls. I had no interest in the pattern, but I liked the colors and the combination.
My first project was to make a pot-holder. I used a front-post/back-post basketweave pattern, for thickness. That was sometime before 2005. Then during the long power outage after Hurricane Ike in 2008 I made another one, also in the Fp/Bp DC basketweave. And yesterday, since all the BRS were done and shipped and no custom dyeing to be done, I made another as the storms passed overhead.
Some of my other potholders are literally falling apart, but Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton remains solid. Obviously with years of daily use and regular washings they are faded, but they were all made from the same original variegated colorway. 🙂
The new one was made in the round:
With a Size I hook, chain 60; without twisting the stitches, join into a circle. Ch 2, skip the first chain, DC59, and slip join in the Ch2. Ch 2, DC59, and join 18 rounds total (mine only has 17 rounds, I quit too soon) The Ch2 counts as a DC, so there are 60 stitches around, easily divided by 2. Join front to back by DC into each stitch from front and back layers, with 3DC at the last stitch; border the side by making 2 DC around 1 DC post along the edge, join the bottom edges by DC into each front and back stitch, making 3 DC at each corner.
I’m not good at writing crochet patterns, but basically you are making a tube, 60 DC around (or 30 DC on both front and back layers, and then making a DC border around the whole thing to hold the front and back together.
By the way, the chair was a rescue job — a dining chair from a set, this was the captain’s chair, with arms to be at the head of the table. The arms and back spindles were so messed up, I simply sawed them off, and sanded the bits smooth with the seat, then refinished the seat and painted the legs. Looks goofy but it is my most favorite working chair, and sits very comfortably.