Earlier today I showed you the progress of the tubescarf, and announced my intention to do something different, since I like the way the red is banding.
I cut the yarns and set that aside, and started over on the knitting machine. With a provisional cast-on, I started with blue for the inner hem, switched to red for the outer hem, and then manually converted half the stitches to create a 1×1 ribbing. Once that was done, I caught the provisional cast-on behind the red stitches, and knit them together, thus creating the hem now rather than sewing it up later. I took it off on a size 1 needle just to hold the stitches while I removed the waste yarn from top and bottom.
Machine knitting can be ‘messy’, with waste yarn, ravel cord, and far too many loose tails than seems reasonable, so I didn’t photograph any of that.
Here it is at this point now, at 95 stitches across. I’ll knit it onto my Size 7 circular, adding roughly 10% more stitches, so I get a multiple of 4, plus 1. That will allow me to continue the swirl without interruption.